Friday, October 1, 2010

Moving ahead.....mostly

Below are some photos of Katrina's progress ..... the front area took many hours to rebuild as the way they built these originally was from the floor up.  I can see why some take them apart from the roof down but am optimistic that we will not need to do so. Every stick had to be fabricated and the corners made from a pattern and glued together.  Last night I cut the first piece of new Birch for the interior; the front bulkhead piece.  The rest of the front structure will need to be custom fabricated as the bullnose interior trim is part of the framing, requires a series of dado cuts and router work to remake the small storage pockets located on either side of the dinette.... you get the idea.....it just takes time....
Well taken apart and the curb side framing nearly complete, floor replaced
Here is the same corner as below after repairing it....

Yup found some soft  wood under the water tank on the street side...no surprise

I decided to repair this corner rather then replace all the framing - most of it is solid and I plan to coat all of it with resin prior to installing the skin

Rounded corners were all rotten so my buddie Jim helped me fabricate patterns from cardboard...

Here is one of the fabricated corners installed

The now solid floor and new framing

Looking good....

This is the corner that was completely rotted so we had no pattern to make new pieces - Yeah trial and error

Cardboard Patterns....

Cut Plywood... a bandsaw work way better then a jigsaw I found out

It's getting closer by the day!

Inside shot of fabricated corner

Pretty good for a rookie...never really worked with wood too much

This is asphault impregnated sheathing... it is identical to the board used to weatherproof the underside between the frame and floor. Lucky to find it thanks to Parr Lumber in Vancouver WA

This shows the above sheathing installed prior to the new floor plywood being permanently installed. I added blocks so that I can use screws with fender washers to affix the sheathing to the bottom side of the wood framing.

It was a bear to get the sheathing between the metal trailer frame and the wood framing...lucky I was alone that day so I got my workout in at the same time!

New street side floor installed

Here we are today; I have started on the bulkhead pieces and will have it in this weekend...and also some interior Birch too

The new interior window frames...I am using Hemlock as I cannot find Birch 1x6 material....hoping I can match the Birch color when we finish the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment